Monday, July 3, 2017

I started at the Trust in the fall of 2011 after leaving a job and a town that I loved but, was beginning to outgrow. My last job had me advising students, event planning, facilitating leadership development, teaching, and working on holistic student development,. I entered into a role at the Cultural Trust, where there was a question to answer and an undefined path stretching ahead. I started with an internal charge to research who in the country was doing this accessibility and inclusion work the best. Once I found that, it was my belief that we could do this work. I read and I read and I planned and I read and then I asked a question, could we bring the national guru here to consult on our physical spaces? Could she help us to digest some pretty daunting plans and help to prioritize some pretty daunting work? The answer to all of this was yes. I already had some programmatic work under way. We had worked with marketing to print a large print program and were going to have some Broadway programs brailed in the fall. Theater Development Fund was going to caption our next Broadway season and we had even found an audio describer, we were on our way… So, then in May of 2012 I gave Betty Siegel a call. A little star struck, I called her at the Kennedy Center and invited her to Pittsburgh and told her of our concerns and of our reports. To my surprise, she was game for a visit. I sent her all of our material and we booked her a flight and like that she was here. In June of 2012 we picked her up from the airport in my coworkers car, took her out for pizza and had drinks with the, Betty Siegel. We took her to see a show that night and I planned a very busy day with four theater visits, a lunch with Kevin, Rona and a team from the Trust and some time to debrief at the end. You know that to this day, we are not perfect but, we have plans, we continue to improve and little by little we are making Pittsburgh a better and more inclusive place.

No comments:

Post a Comment