Tuesday, July 4, 2017

In 2012, I saw the Chorus Line with my two coworkers, Eric and Al and Betty Siegel of the John F. Kennedy Center. We had invited Betty to our fair city to do some consultation on our theaters and this show happened to be playing at our Benedum Center as a part of the CLO’s summer season. To give a little context on my history with musical theater, my sister and I were lucky to grow up in the town of Meadville, a relatively small place with not one but two community theaters. Therefore, from rather young ages my Mom took us to see gems like, Grease, South Pacific, Anything Goes, Aladdin, Pinocchio, Tommy, The King and I, Guys and Dall’s, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolored Dream Coat, God spell, The Secret Garden, Mouse Trap, Oklahoma, West Side Story and of course The Chorus Line… We were lucky kids. So, armed with community Theater productions, I was no novice when I sat down in the theater that night, alongside our guest. I must say, however, I was taken aback when Betty, sitting beside me, cried at various points throughout the second act. I was watching the story and my eyes were as dry as a bone. Was there something wrong with me, that I did not find this story of struggling artists tear worthy? Was I cold and unfeeling? Finally the show had come to its end. The actors took their Curtin call and the lights began to come up in the theater’s house. This is the point when Betty turned to me, still teary and said “she did it for the love of her art.” This is the moment when I knew that while I am a strong admirer and lover of art that I am not an artist. This revelation was further confirmed when Al and Eric joined us at the back of the theater. Eric too had tears in his eyes, (artist,) Al stood dry eyed and as puzzled as I. Artists are amazing people and I count many amongst my closest friends, However they possess an innate ability to feel more deeply or on a different plain, it is not good or bad just different. I will always remember this story, so thank you to the Chorus Line for illuminating such an important distinction for me so early in my journey into the realm of the arts,.

No comments:

Post a Comment